Indian Grilled Chicken
Prep time: 21 minutes
marinating time 12 hours
grilling time 16 minutes Servings: 6
Partner: Rice & Pasta Pilaf
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each cardamom, ginger, cumin and black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (3-pound) chicken
- Lime wedges, optional for garnish
- Combine water and dry mustard in a medium bowl and mix well. Stir in yogurt, lime juice, garlic, salt, cardamom, ginger, cumin, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Pour yogurt mixture in a large resealable plastic bag.
- Cut the chicken into 6 pieces and remove the skin. Place chicken in the plastic bag. Turn bag to coat chicken.
- Marinate in the refrigerator, turning occasionally, for 12 hours; drain well.
- Preheat a charcoal grill. Place the grill rack 5 inches above the coals. Arrange chicken on grill rack. Grill over medium-hot coals until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of meat registers 180°F, about 8 minutes per side. Transfer to a serving platter. Garnish with lime wedges, if desired.
Tip: Used the extra cardamom for spiced tea. Bring 3 cups of water to a boil with a cinnamon stick, a whole clove, 5 coriander seeds and 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom. When the water boils, add 2 teaspoons of loose tea and steep for 3 minutes. Strain the tea through a coffee filter into a teapot and add 1/2 cup milk and 1 tablespoon sugar. Serve hot or cold.
Enjoy! Have a Great Weekend!