Sage (Salvia officinalis)
Folk Names: Garden Sage, Red Sage, Sawge
Powers: Immortality, Longevity, Protection, Wisdom, Wishes
“SAGE make green the winter rain, Charm the demon from my brain.”
SAGE is a member of the Mint family. and is closely related to MUGWORT, WORMWOOD, and SOUTHERNWOOD. Native Americans use Sagebrush for blessing, cleansing, and purification and burn it during religious and personal ceremonies.
Native sages are Artemisias, but when used for spiritual purposes the two are treated by most people as relatively interchangeable. Salvia is used by many peoples to fumigate or cense a sacred space, bringing purification and cleansing.
Deities: Cadmus, Census, Jupiter, Zeus
Element: Air (Mental Powers, Physic Powers, Visions, Wisdom)
Planet: Jupiter (Money, Prosperity, Legal Matters, Luck, Protection)
Magical and Ritual Uses:
SAGE enhances wisdom, purifies the air, gives strength to women, and is a good addition to any reversing mojo bag or candle spell.
- For Wisdom: Burn SAGE leaves on your altar when praying for guidance and clarity, or mix it with King Solomon Wisdom Incense as an aid to making wise decisions in career and business and family matters.
- Add SAGE to mojo bags to impart wisdom and give the power of discernment to those who are faced with the need to make decisions in career, financial, and family matters.
- To make a wish come true: write it on a sage leaf and hide it beneath your pillow for three nights. Once you dream of what you desire your wish will be materialized, if not, bury the sage in the ground so that no harm comes your way.
- Utilized to ensure a long life—sometimes even immortality. Eat part of the plant every day, or in May. “He who would live for aye Must eat sage in May.”
- Use the leaves in healing and money spells.
- Wear a small horn filled with SAGE to ward off the evil eye.
- SAGE may be used to purify one’s self, removing negative energy and providing a healthy attitude toward life.
- Eat fresh SAGE leaves nine mornings in a row, timed with either a new or full Moon.
- SAGE is excellent for the Autumn Equinox/Samhain, as well as Yule, to help remain bright when the days are at their shortest..
- Catherine Yronwode: Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic
- Paul Beyerl: A Compendium of Herbal Magick
- Paul Huson: Mastering Herbalism: A Practical Guide
- Scott Cunningham: Cunningham’s Encyclopedia of magical herbs