- Non-stick vegetable spray
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 pints fresh strawberries
- 1 recipe whipped cream frosting
- Whipped Cream Frosting:
- 1 teaspoon gelatin
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350, place rack in the middle of the oven. Lightly coat 2 (9-inch) cake pans with nonstick vegetable spray. Line the bottoms with a circle of baking parchment.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt together, 3 times. Bring the milk and butter to a boil (in a small saucepan. Remove from the heat and add vanilla and lemon extracts.
- In separate mixing bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until pale yellow, fluffy and doubled in volume. While still beating, drizzle in the hot milk mixture.
- Fold in the flour mixture. Spread the batter in the pans and bake for 15 minutes, or until golden, make sure cake tester comes out clean.
- Set the pans out to cool. Run the tip of a knife around the edges of the cakes to loosen them, then turn out of the pans.
Whipped Cream Frosting:
- In a medium bowl, mix together the gelatin and 1/4 cup of the cream. Let stand for 5 minutes to soften, then place the bowl over barely simmering water until the gelatin has completely dissolved.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and let cool to lukewarm.
- In a mixing bowl, whip the cream until slightly thickened. Add the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla and whip to the consistency of shaving cream.
- Fold 1/2 cup of the whipped cream into the gelatin mixture, then fold in the rest.
- Wash and dry the strawberries, pick out 12.
- Stem and slice the rest. Mix with 3 tablespoons sugar and refrigerate while juices develop, at least 30 minutes.
- Spoon some of the strawberries with their juice onto each shortcake bottom.
- Spread a 1/2-inch layer of whipped cream on top.
- Place the second cake over the first. Frost the entire cake with the remaining whipped cream.
- Top with the 12 whole berries.
Thanks for stopping by!