Chunky Potato & Ham Soup
This soup is excellent served in individual bread bowls. Buy small, round loaves. (I like Italian bread) Slice off the top piece, remove the inside of loaf. Leave 1 1/2 inch shell, and fill with soup.
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 3 medium red potatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 small onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Ground black pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed cooked ham
- Peel potatoes, (if desired) cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Bring water to a boil in large saucepan, add potatoes & cook until tender. Drain and reserve liquid. Set potatoes aside. Measure 1 cup cooking liquid, add water, if necessary. (set aside)
- Peel & finely chop onion. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion & cook, stirring frequently. Onion should be translucent & tender, but not brown.
- Add flour, season with pepper flakes & black pepper to taste. (cook 3 to 4 minutes)
- Gradually add potatoes, reserved 1 cup cooking liquid, milk and sugar to onion mixture & stir well. Add cheese and ham. Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
Enjoy! Have a Great Weekend!