Maryland Crab Cakes
Prep time: 15 minutes + chilling
Cooking time: 6 to 8 minutes
- 1 celery stalk (1/2 cup chopped)
- 1 green onion (1/4 cup chopped)
- 1 pound fresh backfin crab-meat, cartilage removed
- 10 saltine crackers (2 inches each), crushed to 1/2 cup crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons tartar sauce
- 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Lemon slices, to garnish
- Finely chop celery and green onion. (set aside) Combine crab-meat, cracker crumbs, celery and onion in a medium bowl. (set aside)
- With a wire whisk, beat the egg in a small bowl. Add tartar sauce and seafood seasoning to egg in bowl and mix. (pour over crab-meat mixture)
- Gently combine egg mixture with crab-meat mixture. (do not break large lumps) Shape into six 3/4-inch-thick patties. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Add oil to a large nonstick skillet, heat over medium-high heat until hot.
- Place crab cakes in skillet, cook until cakes are lightly browned. (3 to 4 minutes each side) Place crab cakes on a heated serving platter and garnish with lemon slices.
Tip: If you cannot find crab-meat or it’s out of season, canned crab-meat can be substituted. Be sure to look for and discharge any shell pieces and cartilage beforehand.
Enjoy! Have a Great Weekend!